Stemming back to ancient civilizations the use of Essential oils for a variety of purposes such as cosmetics and healing properties has most definitely laid its foundation in the ever-increasing movement towards a more holistic way of life.
Aromatherapy, in tradition, is the practice of using scented, aromatic oils that have been extracted from plants to aid in the healing and promoting of good health to our bodies in a natural way.
Now without getting to scientific here, Aromatherapy works in the way that by inhaling the vapors of the essential oils, sends a signal to the part of our brain responsible for sense of smell, which in turn triggers our emotional state of mind, releasing certain chemicals, thus placing us in a relaxed mood.
Research tells us that there are over 100 varieties of Essential Oils available with each one having its own health benefit that promotes both Psychological and Physical well- being. Different oils will arouse and stimulate our senses in various ways.
Applying Essential Oils.
Aromatherapy oils, which is also commonly referred to as “Essential Oils,” can be used by either:
Oil Burner/ Vaporizing: Adding a few drops to hot water using an “Essence Vaporizer” or “Oil Burner”. This method allows the molecules in the oils to evaporate and disperse leaving a calming scent and fragrance.
Direct Application: Massage, Bath, Skin Care, Hair, Cosmetics. Please note that some oils are quite strong and if you are to apply directly to your skin it may cause a reaction. So it would be advised to read the label or talk to your Health Professional first, as most times you will need to mix the Essential Oil with a Carrier Oil.
Carrier oils are cold-pressed vegetable oils that come from a variety of Vegetables, Nuts and Seeds such as Avocado’s, Apricot, Coconuts, Grapeseed, Sesame Seed and Hazelnut.
Respiratory: This process involves placing a few drops of essential oils in hot steamy water, placing a towel over your head and inhaling the vapors. Eucalyptus oil is especially beneficial in the relief of nasal congestion.
Benefits of Aromatherapy.
This holistic treatment has been known to have numerous profound benefits both physical and psychological creating overall well-being.
Physical and Psychological Benefits
- Increase energy.
- Help in the recovery of Fatigue and Exhaustion
- Physical and emotional wellbeing
- Reduce Stress and Depression
- Help combat Anxiety and Panic Attacks.
- Aid in Anger Management.
- Known to boost confidence.
The essential oils used in Aromatherapy contain natural elements that aid not only in helping reduce Anxiety, Depression, Stress and Relaxing the Mind, they are also beneficial in aiding with the cure of other medical ailments such as:
- Pain Relief
- Help Cure Respiratory, Cold and Flu Symptoms,
- Treating Rheumatism and Arthritis
- Treating Infections
- Healing of Wounds.
- Improves your Skin, and Tighten Muscle.
- Stabilizing the Nervous System
- Reduces Spasm
- Digestive Issues
- Improving Blood Circulation and Purification
- Help Regulate The Menstruation Cycle and Relief
- Kills Bacteria.
Some of the Natural Elements found in Essentials Oils.
- Antiseptics: To stop bacteria from cuts and wounds.
- Antidepressant: For depression, anxiety and stress.
- Anti-inflammatories: Help reduces swelling.
- Antioxidants: Helps with blood purification.
- Digestive Properties: Aids in stomach relief, gas, and laxative.
- Stimulant: To boost metabolism and memory
- Sedative: To assist in sleep and calming effect.
- Deodorant: Natural perfumery
- Aphrodisiac: Boost libido
- Vulnerary: To help heal wounds.
10 Common Essential Oils for Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Relief.
1. Bergamot: Known to have a natural antidepressant will help in the battle against depression and mood swings.
2. Frankincense: This Essential oil, which is favored for its antiseptic qualities and fight against infections, is also beneficial when it comes to cures of the colds and soothing anxiety symptoms.
3. Davan: Contains a natural antidepressant and calming agent used to relax the mind, body and combat against depression.
4. Lavender: Popular oil, which assists with calming, aids in promoting sleep and treating issues with the nervous system.
5. Jasmine: Natural antidepressant and sedative elements, which helps in the comforting of depression, low mood emotions and increases libido.
6. Rose: The traditional use of rose essential oils is based again as an antidepressant and assists in the fight against depression, increase libido and helps to fight bacteria.
7. Sandalwood: Aids in the cure, of flu-like symptoms, boost the immunity system, enables better memory function and relieves nervousness.
8. Chamomile: This would be one of the most popular essential oils used throughout history and today, with benefits ranging from, stopping infections, help fight fever, improves the nervous systems function, fight bacteria, reduce depression and mood swings. It’s almost the one-stop shop for all ailments.
9. Clary Sage: Also known for its natural antidepressant properties, Clary Sage is proactive in reducing negative emotions, anxiety and depression.
10. Neroli: Also known for its natural Antidepressant element aiding in the cure of depression, anxiety, and mood booster.
Even thou The benefits of these Essential oils have no doubt proven to be advantages in their healing abilities, there will obviously be more severe cases of health related issues where seeking professional medical advice would be wise and not just the reliant of these Essential Oils to be the only cure.